Membership in the Back Bay Amateur Astronomers is open to anyone with an interest in astronomy and telescope ownership is NOT required. Youngsters
are welcome, but should only attend events with a parent or other trusted adult. Your dues go to pay for Astronomical League membership, our club membership in the International
Dark Sky Association and the cost of producing our monthly newsletter, the Back Bay Observer. New members who are novice astronomers will receive the benefit of help from experienced
observers that already have years or decades in the hobby. Becoming a member allows you to find observing partners and gain access to new observing sites. Our membership options are:
Regular Membership: $23 per year. All other immediate family members of the household are considered as Associate Members but cannot vote or hold office in the BBAA nor can
they participate in Astronomical League (AL) Programs without becoming an AL member as an Associate Member. See Associate Member information below.
Associate Membership (with Astronomical League): $5 per year and limited to (1) those who have not graduated high school and are under the age of 18 without an adult
family member joined as a Regular Member or (2) an immediate family member, regardless of age, of a Regular Member in good standing. Participation in the AL Programs is
permitted with this membership.
Associate Membership (without Astronomical League): FREE and is limited to (1) those who have not graduated high school and are under the age of 18 without an adult
family member joined as a Regular Member or (2) an immediate family member, regardless of age, of a Regular Member in good standing. These members may participate in all club
functions but cannot vote or hold office.
- Our monthly newsletter, the Back Bay Observer
- Membership in the Astronomical League (AL)
- Quarterly newsletter, the Reflector (AL)
- Reduced rates on Sky & Telescope and Astronomy Magazine
- Access to dark sky observing sites
- Access to membership knowledge and experience
- Participation in club activities
- Educational field trips
- Telescope buying advice
- Trial of accessories before you buy
If you would like to join the BBAA, we have two options to request membership. Those options are PayPal or the US Postal Service. PayPal offers
you the online payment security as well as providing instant notification that your membership request has been received. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use this
option as the PayPal system also takes credit cards while providing security for you. To use PayPal for your purchase of a membership, please select the PayPal option below and follow
the instructions provided.
Snail Mail (USPS)
Please make your $23.00 check payable to Back Bay Amateur Astronomers or BBAA
Mail to the address below
BBAA, PO Box 9877
Virginia Beach, VA 23450-9877
Along with your check, be sure to include:
- Your Name (and what you like to be called)
- Phone Number
- E-mail address
- Please provide the names of family members that will be participating with you in astronomy events.
- Tell us about your telescope (if you have one), how long you have been interested in astronomy, and what your observing interests are.
- Tell us if you have an astronomy or science related job or credentials.
- Tell us about other astronomy clubs you have been a member of.